I have a smoothie everyday for breakfast. It’s a great way to get in some powerful nutrients first thing in the morning. It also takes no time at all to throw stuff into a blender 😛
There’s a ton of delicious smoothie recipes online you can try, but it’s really easy to make your own. There is a method to follow when building smoothies, though. Here’s how I do it:
- Base: some type of leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc.) . Put them in first because they are the lightest and all other foods will help weigh them down to allow them to blend fully. If you’re a regular smoothie drinker, make sure to always switch up your greens.
- Protein Source: my go-to is vegan protein powder, but you can use your favourite protein source ex: nut butters, nuts/seeds, spirulina, etc.
- Fibre: frozen fruits and veggies do double duty, adding fibre but also keeping it cold. Oats, nuts or psyllium husk are great sources of fibre, too.
- Healthy Fats: avocado chunks, nuts/seeds, coconut, etc.
- Booster: ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, shot of espresso, bee pollen – basically something to take your smoothie up a notch.
- Sweetener: frozen fruits are the most popular choice, but if you’re not using frozen fruit you can try adding a couple medjool dates, raw honey or maple syrup.
- Liquid: something to get it to mix up. I typically use filtered water, but my hubs loves almond milk. Your choice.
Most of the foods will overlap into other categories, so don’t stress too much about making sure to tick all the boxes.
**REMEMBER: fibre makes you feel full right away and protein keeps you full longer. Both are needed in your smoothie. If all you’re doing is mixing some fruit with nut milk you have a snack, not a smoothie.
And don’t think like you have to add everything. When I first started making smoothies I was adding about 14 different things. It was too much! Keep it simple and try different combinations.
Here’s my go-to, basic smoothie I make most mornings:
- Handful of greens
- Half a banana
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder (usually mocha flavoured)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 chunk of ginger
- A couple slices of frozen zucchini or 2-3 frozen cauliflower florets (depends on what I have in the freezer)
- No more than 1/2 cup frozen fruit
- Blend & Enjoy!