This turmeric tonic is perfect for those mornings where you need just a little extra push. The mix of citrus and turmeric is basically a wake-up-call in a mug! The orange juice takes it to a whole new level but make no mistake, this ain’t your grandma’s O.J. This recipe is also incredibly versatile; you can top it with warm water, ice cold water or even sparkling. Feel free to add 1/2 tsp or so of your favourite natural sweetener if you find it too tangy or peppery.
This recipe was inspired by a post I saw on Mind Body Green well over two years ago. I wasn’t able to find the original recipe, but I do remember that it said to put a piece of whole turmeric in your blender… I tried that and then cried when I realized that the turmeric stained my Vitamix an awful shade of yellow. I wasn’t impressed. This is a much safer and stain-free way to enjoy this tonic.
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, peeled
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1/2 – 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Place all ingredients except the turmeric into your blender and blend on high until the piece of ginger is mixed up
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a mug (or not if you like the pulp)
- Add in the turmeric and stir
- Top with filtered water to fill your mug and enjoy